pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] "Automatic" unsubscription (bug?)

From: Duncan
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 20:01:45 -0700

On Wed 14 May 2003 15:06, Michael Vondung posted as excerpted below:
> I've been using Pan for about ten days now (Windows version, currently
> 0.14). When I started the newsreader this morning, I noticed that one of
> the five subscribed groups was missing. Checked the list, and indeed, it
> had vanished from the subscription list but was still in "all groups" (yes,
> I am sure I didn't delete it by accident :). I re-added it, and of roughly
> 9000 cashed articles only a few hundred were left/shown. The "missing"
> articles are still in \.pan\messages\, but they aren't indexed (tried
> various search options, but no go). The cache size is large enough.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?

This may be a problem with file corruption..  The file listing the subscribed
groups may have gotten corrupted somehow, particularly if PAN (or MSWormOS
with PAN running, or b4 the cached PAN files were written back to disk)
crashed, leaving open and partially written files.

I don't know.  Is NTFS a journaling file system?  I know FAT is quite
vulnerable to that sort of thing as it is definitely NOT.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin