pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feature Request: Ignored threads

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feature Request: Ignored threads
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 07:16:49 -0700

On Fri 06 Jun 2003 12:42, John Aldrich posted as excerpted below:
> On Thursday 05 June 2003 09:02 pm, Jim Henderson wrote:
> > > Nope. Don't think so. At least I just looked and didn't see any way to
> > > set it so that the filter would ONLY catch "ignored" posts. I saw one
> > > that would catch all posts that were AT LEAST "ignored." But I saw no
> > > way to tell it to ONLY catch ignored posts... Then again, I'm not that
> > > familiar with the "scorefile" system....
> >
> > I don't know about the current version, but I use a rule to do this in
> > 0.11.4 and it works great.
>
> The problem is that the latest versions use "scoring" to accomplish much
> the same thing....and unfortunately, I find the combination of scoring and
> rules to be a bit unwieldy... I wish Charles (or one of the scoring
> experts) would step up here and say how to do this...

Well, I certainly don't consider myself a scoring expert, as the
good-old-filters were good enough for me, and I generally haven't done
anything with scoring except for adding new folks to the bozo filter which
must either be done manually now, or accomplished thru scoring.

That said, I think I CAN answer this one, as I had to do essentially that when
I DID do the bozo thing above, in ordered to get it to work as it used to.
Only, the bozo filter has the action set to delete rather than mark read, but
that's a trivial matter.

How it's SUPPOSED to work and how it actually DOES work in this case happen to
be a bit different, which originally caused me some serious problems, but I
was able to fix that..

How it SHOULD work (how all the OTHER types work):

In the filter dialog, set the article scored radio button, select AT LEAST
Low. click add.  It will now display "one of watched, high, medium, zero,
low".  Select the new line, and click INVERT.  It now says "Article score one
of: Ignored."  That's what you want. apply.

Unfortunately that does NOT work, with scored articles.  If you close the
dialog and go back, it will not have applied the invert in the actual filter,
altho the display did change.  When you go back, it will be back to listing
watched, high, medium, zero, low, again.  The invert function doesn't take,
when applied to scores.  Or, at least it doesn't take, here.  I didn't
realize that, and as I said, added that filter to the bozo rule so it would
delete new additions to the plonk list,since PAN adds them to the score
ignored list rather than the bozo delete list now, and I was having the
problem you just mentioned with messages still showing as unread that I
couldn't see.  Because of the fail to invert, it deleted EVERYTHING ELSE
instead.

OK, I was back to square one, PLUS I had a bunch of groups to re-d/l and find
where I was b4.  Fortunately I caught it fairly quickly, and the damage was
to only a couple groups.

How I discovered it DOES work:

Once you complete the above steps and verify by reloading the filter dialog
that it did NOT take as expected, close PAN, and go do what any true Linux
hacker (by some definitions <g>) would have done the FIRST time. --> go load
the text based config file in your favorite text editor and hack it into
compliance!  In this case, all it takes is replacing the list of watched..low
with the single level, ignored.  Load pan back up and verify it interprets
the filter correctly (in the display).  Close PAN again and verify it didn't
change the filter again.  Open PAN again and test it on a group you don't
care about --> I'd suggest a normally unsubscribed test group that you
subscribe to for this purpose, then dump when you are done, so you don't lose
any posts in a group you really value, as I did.  However, it worked fine
here, once I modified the config file by hand.

The exact line as modified now to work is as follows (note two tabs b4 the <):
                <score mode="ignored"/>

Be sure to put it under the right filter, if you try adding it directly rather
than simply modifying the one PAN leaves.

The filters file is ~/.pan/data/filters.xml, by default.  At least here, I
have a *.bak file as well, probably a PAN safety mechanism.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin