pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan freezes my connection

From: Jeff Vian
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan freezes my connection
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:45:09 -0500

Why even use a router??? Unless you have a real serious need for one. Small routers are seriously limited on memory and processing power so heavy usage can overpower the device.

As I see it, all you really need is a method of connecting your internal network of ( one to ???) machines to the internet through a single point (the ADSL or cable modem) and for the device doing that to provide NAT and some form of firewalling so your internal network is really that (internal) and not open to access from the internet.

I use an old pentium 133 machine with 2 NICs and run linux on that machine as a firewall. I have yet to see the kind of problem you have been describing and my investment was $15 on hardware and a little time setting it up. No router, just a firewall/gateway that provides security and a very reliable connection.

Himanshu J. Gohel wrote:

"Alain Maisonneuve" <address@hidden>

No.. speaking with the folk over at linksys.. they seemed to have
identified.. that it's to much traffic(of any kind) over the WAN port..
<...>
And no theirs no real way to debug this..

Seems to me that the best test would be to remove the router from the set
up for a couple of hours and run Pan intensively.

This would really tell if the hang is the router or something else.

Himanshu