pan-users

[Pan-users] Fun with Pan's header parsing...

From: Toby A Inkster
Subject: [Pan-users] Fun with Pan's header parsing...
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:46:23 +0100

Close pan.

Open up ~/.pan/profiles.xml and create a multi-line attribution by
changing, say:

<attribution>On %d, %n wrote:</attribution>

to:

<attribution>On %d,
%n wrote:</attribution>

Open pan again. Reply to some message, and choose the posting profile
you've just modified. Pan will correctly attribute the post:

On blah,
foobar wrote:

"Hurrah," we think! We have a multiline attribution!

But now we try to send the message. It fails. "Why?" we wonder.

I'll tell you why. Pan sets an internal header (never sent to the news
server) X-Pan-Internal-Attribution. It is set like follows:

However, if the attribution contains a new line character, we get:

foobar wrote:

So it looks like there are two different headers set, one of them
containing a space (not an allowed character) so Pan chokes.

Anyway, I cordially request a way of inserting new line characters into
attributions.

Ciao.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | mailto:address@hidden | pgp:0x6A2A7D39