pan-users

[Pan-users] [OT - most likely] fonts oddity in 13.4

From: jef_e
Subject: [Pan-users] [OT - most likely] fonts oddity in 13.4
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:05:57 -0400 (EDT)

        This isn't really a Pan problem as such - but it's got me curious,
and perhaps someone can shed some light on things.

        After playing with some other GTK2 apps, I opened Pan to find that
my fonts had gone all goofy. I was able to set the default font for menus
and whatnot to "Times" from the .gtkrc-2.0. But here is where the
wackiness comes in.
        "Times" was set as Pan's font for all Custom fonts options.
However, "Times"  was not showing as the font. As a matter of fact,
"Times" is no longer displayed as an option in the Pan font dialog. I had
not changed the font since lord knows when - sometime a long time ago :)

        After poking about, I discover this....
fonts.alias:-adobe-times-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
"-urw-nimbus roman no9 l-regular-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1"
        So, "Times" is an alias. But, how come Pan won't show me "Times"
as an options when several other (xmms, Star Office, Opera) apps I have
checked will? (On a side not, Star Office displays the exact opposite
behavior and will only show me "Times")  BUT, if I edit config.xml by
hand, Times is found just fine.

        Is this a Pan thing, an X thing, a GTK2 thing? It has me wondering
and is driving me nuts.

        jef