pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How can I tell if it has an attach?

From: John Morris
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How can I tell if it has an attach?
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 11:53:45 -0500

Unfortunately, there's no real way to tell if a usenet message has an
attachment without reading the message itself.  Usenet was not originally
designed to have attached files.

So, the number of lines is really the only hint that there may be an
attachment.   Some articles will have patterns in the subject, which imply
that there is an attachment, and I'm sure Pan uses this for articles where it
draws the "puzzle piece" icon.   For instance, with a subject of " blah blah
attach.jpg [1/1]", the "[1/1] is a clue to the newsreader that there is an
attachment".

If you want to only display message with possible attachments, you could set
up a custom filter, where is only displays articles that have a number of
lines greater than a given value.