pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Some Q's

From: Bruce D Porter
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Some Q's
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 22:47:41 +0100

Duncan wrote:
On Fri 29 Aug 2003 08:21, Bruce D Porter posted as excerpted below:

Sorry if I have missed a FAQ but I have a few questions.

I am using PAN 0.14.0 on Solaris 9 x86.

1) Is there any way to stop the "greater than 4 lines" sig warning ?

Other than editing source or reducing your sig line count? No. Take a look at the GNKSA (Good NetKeeping Seal of Approval) link on the PAN home page for the details of the requirements, but the fact is that the PAN developers are rightfully very proud of their status as the ONLY *ix newreader to get a 100% score on the GNKSA, which means suggesting good netiquette, and THAT means a warning when the sig is longer than the recommended standard of four lines.

Fairy snuff. I can accept that and live with it.
It at least acts as a final "did you really want to send this " warning to me :=}

2) Is there any way to clear down the NG heads/bodies stored ? Say every
week ? As sorting starts to take a long time after a while.

Bodies are cleared based on your cache settings. Headers are normally cleared at your next update after they've expired off the news server. If you have a news server with long enough retention that such a policy retains to many, consider creating a filter with the condition "Article is at least N days old", and a rule with action delete on any articles matching that filter.

Cool, I'll look at that.

Quite reasonable questions! Happy to answer them! Stick around for answers to questions you never thought to ask! <g> (That's one reason I'm here. <g>)

Thanks.

I will hang around and see what the score is.

--

        Bruce
# The internet is a huge and diverse community and   #