pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Inefficiencies in Pan threading?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Inefficiencies in Pan threading?
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 05:53:08 -0700

Calin A. Culianu posted
<address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:24:24 -0400:

> But I did some system call traces (strace) and it seems that somehow the
> connection gets stalled (some read() calles take like tens of seconds to
> return 1024 bytes of data!!).  Something is up with my NNTP provider.  I
> am going to resolve this issue with them... perhaps they are overloaded
> during the day or something.
>
> But it's nice to know Pan isn't to blame, and that it tries its best to
> avoid dead time by being threaded well!
>
> Now to figure out what to do about my news server... :)

FWIW PAN has a whole host of debug command line options incl.
--debug-sockets.  There are a couple other --debug-x type options in the
pan --help output that you may well be interested in, if there's any
question remaining on just how efficient PAN IS on the various aspects.
I'm sure any help you may be able to provide in that area would be
appreciated, altho I can safely say there's been a LOT of work done
already, and it does show, as compared to when I first used PAN @ 0.11.x.

Benjamin Franklin