pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feature Suggestion

From: Per Hedeland
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feature Suggestion
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 01:33:40 +0200 (CEST)

Mark Derricutt <address@hidden> wrote:

>--On Tuesday, September 16, 2003 15:16:28 +0100 Vigil
><address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> When someone mentions a message ID in a post, eg "in message
>> address@hidden", how about that being a
>> link that opens a pop-up with that post in it?
>>
>> I am not a programmer so I cannot submit my own patch :P
>
>Is there any standard way of guessing a google-nntp URL for a given
>Message-ID?  Often I want to mentioned a post in a blog entry/article and
>go hunting for it on google to link to, but would also be cool to just have
>a link directly to the google news entry, if its possible.

No need to guess, they have a msgid-lookup-function - e.g. the above
article can be gotten with
http://groups.google.com/address@hidden

There may be some need for "URL-encoding" though, e.g. mozilla doesn't
seem to be able to handle '$' on the commandline (so turn it into %24),
and "raw" '%' must be turned into %25 (otherwise Google tries to
"URL-decode" it or something).

--Per Hedeland