pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Score not firing...

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Score not firing...
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 05:52:40 -0700

Mark Derricutt posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:51:28 +1200:

> Changing it from [gmane\.linux\.redhat\..*] to [gmane.linux.redhat] worked
> like a charm, but its still a mystery as to why the regex wasn't working.

Come to think of it, I had a similar problem I think, at some point.
Don't recall what it was, but I decided it was likely due to i18n.  IOW,
it may for some reason related to charactersets be expecting one character
code and seeing another.  Since the unescaped dot means "any character",
which includes a dot in any charset, it works.

I think in my case it was a letter that didn't work, which would have more
naturally lead to that conclusion, since the full-stop dot is supposed to
be encoded the same no matter the charset, but it's possible an extended
letter might be displayed as an ordinary letter in some charsets with some
fonts, which is what I decided was happening here.  I don't fully
understand it.  I just learn to be a bit flexible when it doesn't work as
I expect, and then move on.  <g>

Benjamin Franklin