pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] top posting

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] top posting
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:08:39 -0700

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 03:52:12PM -0400, Meat wrote:

>> Is their a way to get PAN to shut up about top posting?  Can PAN be made
>> to simply read news and leave the politics out?
>
> And include removing the warnings for too much quoted text and not
> setting a follow up to cross posted news groups. Add a feature to
> disable these things for those who don't want to be politically
> correct.

Have I somehow been ambiguous about this? :)

Pan has no option to disable posting warnings -- top-posting, mostly quoted
text, etc. -- because the overwhelming consensus on Usenet is that these
posting conventions should be followed.  To go against the grain implies that
you don't care what your readers think.  If that's the case, why post at all?

This thread's been fun for blowing off steam, but I agree that we're
going in circles.  Short answer: your choices are (1) do your readers a
favor and post correctly, (2) recompile pan/base/message-check.c to
remove the warnings you don't like, (3) live with the warnings, or
(4) find a newsreader that's less strict than Pan.

--
cheers,
Charles