pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Bandwidth throttling recipe. [linux 2.4]

From: .b e.
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Bandwidth throttling recipe. [linux 2.4]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:12:28 +0000

thanks for the useful tip Eric.
I'm most curious,how much ram & what speed processor(s) are you running in order to find bandwidth the most restrictive factor of using pan?

i'm running mandrake 2.4.21 on 1.4ghz and until yesterday 256Mb ram, i went looking for another 256meg but could only get 128Mb (for my laptop). Pan, the only app running, proceeded to eat it all immediately, to be fair i did notice a significant drop in swap utilisation ( hdd activity)

for too long the most frequent keystrokes when using pan have been
ALT-F2 pkill pan  /else the power switch.
the extra ram has made a difference, i've only had to power off once today whilst running Pan

cheers
bruce

I was tired of PAN chewing up all of my available bandwidth whenever I
went on a downloading spree.  The quality-of-service aspects of the linux
kernel can be a wee intimidating though, and I never set aside the time
to slog through the 185 page HOWTO for these kinds of things until last
night.  It turns out it wasn't that bad at all.  It should be even less
bad with the following tips.