pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: large groups not loading?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: large groups not loading?
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:33:55 -0700

Steven Adeff posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:27:50 -0500:

> I'm having a problem with large groups (around a million posts) on my
> giganews account. Pan sits there forever trying to load it using tons of
> memory(0.6% cpu and 80.3% memory). I'm running Pan 14.2 (long time since a
> new version, any reason or am I missing something?) on an Athlon 1600+
> with 512MB of ram
>
> is this a common problem? is there a way to fix it?

I just upgraded to a dual Opteron 242 w/ a gig of memory.  I haven't tried
a group that large (tho I WAS impressed yesterday when I had a run-away
Konqueror instance -- it didn't seem to affect system responsiveness at
all, unlike with my old uni-processor 1.2GHz Athlon C system, which it
would have slowed significantly), but that of course is one way to fix it!
<g>

Seriously, tho..  PAN is far better than it was..  It used to bog down @
100-200K headers on half a gig memory, so if it's handling a million now..
that's a DEFINITE improvement.

As for the new version time question..  Charles was on vacation for a
couple weeks after 0.14.2, and I think took a bit longer break from PAN --
he certainly well deserved it.  If you look at the roadmap, there's some
serious coding including the long awaited back-end db handling switch to
SQLite libraries scheduled.  Altho I follow this group/list (group, here,
since I read it using PAN off of GMANE) and developer, I haven't gotten
into CVS yet, but I'd guess, given the roadmap, that Charles and Chris are
likely hard at work coding and debugging that, or something equally
challenging.  If that is indeed what's going on, I'd want a good break b4
I started work on it, and would take my time getting it right too!

I HOPE that's what's going on, anyway!  <g>

OTOH, software libre developers have to pay the bills too, and I've a
feeling that Paypal tip jar on the PAN site doesn't /quite/ cover it.. for
one person, let alone a significant other and family!  =:^\  It's possible
his meat-space job is just taking all his time and energy right now, and
`PAN has to wait...

Benjamin Franklin