pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan doesn't work...

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan doesn't work...
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:14:47 -0700

Brad posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
 on Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:51:19 +1000:

> I have been using Pan with RH9 and I have just installed a fresh copy of
> Fedora Core 1.  I have copied my ~/.pan directory across and started Pan.
> It reads all the newsgroups OK, but I cannot post to any group. It says
> that it has posted OK, but the message never appears.
>
> The pan.sent folder contains the sent messages and the log looks OK. I
> posted a test message to alt.uk.test and here is the log:
>
> Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:45:14 - Posting complete.  Server said: 240
> <address@hidden> Article
> posted Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:45:14 - Article "Test - ignore" posted.
>
> However, the message never appeared in the newsgroup. I have tried
> deleting my ~.pan directory and configuring pan again, but it is still the
> same. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening or how I can
> fault-find it further?

If the log is saying the server said Article Posted, then the problem
isn't on your side, but on the server side, it would appear.  That's
assuming you continue getting new posts from other users.  I'd suggest
contacting your news provider (or ISP, if it's a bundled service) and
asking them what is happening.  That would seem to be doubly the case if
even clearing the PAN subdir doesn't help.  Maybe you got a new IP
assigned or something and it happens to be on a new subnet that the server
isn't configured to accept posts from yet, or maybe their servers are
otherwise misconfigured, or mayby you somehow triggered a posting ban, for
whatever reason.  Whatever it is, it seems to be on their end, not yours,
as PAN is saying the server accepted the post..

BTW.. to spy on PAN's dialog with the server, open it up from the command
line or with STDOUT set to a file, and with the --debug-sockets switch
set.  That's from memory, anyway.  A helpful list of available debug
options can be retrieved using the standard --help switch.  You could try
that, but I don't expect it will do anything but confirm what the log
already says, that the server is accepting the post just fine, tho what it
does with it after that is its problem.

Benjamin Franklin