pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.14.2.90 "A Bouquet of Corpses"

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.14.2.90 "A Bouquet of Corpses"
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:06:56 -0800

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 07:49:52PM -0600, J. Gardner Biggs wrote:
> I am getting this complaint from the ./configure script:
>
> checking XML_CFLAGS... -I/usr/local/include/libxml2
> checking XML_LIBS... -L/usr/local/lib -lxml2 -lpthread -lz -lm
> checking for pcre-config... no
> configure: error: libpcre is needed.  pcre-config not found
>
> I built 0.14.2 with no problems.  I see that the dependencies have not
> changed in the README, but the file has the same timestamp as 0.14.2.
> Have any additional dependencies crept in?

Yep -- you need libpcre, and libpcre-devel if installing from source.
Perl-compatable regular expressions (pcre) are better than the posix ones
that Pan used to use, and pcre is used by XNews and slrn is moving to
them, so it's also a Good Thing for usability and scorefile portability.

I'll update the README; thanks for pointing this out.

--
cheers,
Charles