pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: UTF-8, PCRE and Pan 0.14.2.91 - problems suddenly

From: Brian Morrison
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: UTF-8, PCRE and Pan 0.14.2.91 - problems suddenly
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:01:48 +0000

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 07:58:23 -0700 in
address@hidden Duncan <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Again, it's working fine, here, despite the results above.
>
> Mandrake is supposed to be Red Hat compatible, for the most part, so
> perhaps d/l their i586 version, or their srpm, and try it?  The
> version I'm running here:
>
> $ rpmqag pcre
> lib64pcre0-4.3-5mdk
>
> (rpmqag is a one-line bash script that simply calls rpm -qa|grep $*)
>
> FWIW, here's the output of ldd for my working pan:
> $ ldd /usr/local/bin/pan
>         libpcreposix.so.0 => /usr/lib64/libpcreposix.so.0
>         libpcre.so.0 => /lib64/libpcre.so.0

Right, well checking here shows that pan-0.14.2.90 uses libpcre but not
libpcreposix. pan-0.14.2.91 uses both, so that looks like something is
not right with Pan's view of my libpcreposix.so library. It definitely
has UTF-8 support compiled in though.

I also see a new Pan cvs fix that shows some sort of changes related to
utf-8 that might have something to do with it. Not sure of the
significance though as it isn't in a file obviously relating to scoring.

> Hmm.  Maybe 4.4 introduced an incompatibility, and you need 4.3?  Like
> I said, the above is working here, for me.

I got the latest 4.x version that is listed on the Fedora pages, that is
the successor to RawHide stuff for RH. I am still using 7.3 on this box
though, but even RH9 is using pcre 3.9 in standard state.

I have reverted to 0.14.2.90 for now until I resolve this, I'll see if
anyone else has any comments about this here.

--

Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk