pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Wishlist

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Wishlist
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:52:21 -0700

James Gregory posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:23:49 +0000:

> On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 04:22:28 -0700, Duncan wrote:
>
>> James Gregory posted
>> <address@hidden>,
>> excerpted below,  on Sun, 08 Feb 2004 03:07:41 +0000:
>>
>>> Pan seems to automatically overwrite any changes I make to
>>> .pan/accels.txt
>>>
>>> I don't seem to have a .pan/data directory.
>>
>> Try holding your mouse over the menu entry and hitting the combo you
>> want. It should work most of the time, except for single letter
>> shortcuts that happen to match a menu accelerator key as well.
>
> Doesn't seem to work for shift+m...
[]
>> If that doesn't work, it may be that your GTK version is set not to
>> accept accel mods.  In that case, do some googling.. the correct
>> incantation has been mentioned on this list b4, around GTK+2.0 time, by
>> several folks, including me, but that was long enough ago I forgot
>> exactly what it was, when it started taking mods again, w/o me having
>> to fix the config file.
>
> I have gtk+2.0.

Ahh.. <the light dawns <g>>

Note that here on Mandrake, anyway, my gtk+2.2 package is called
gtk+2.0-2.2.4-2mdk, with just the gtk+2.0 being the package name, so it
doesn't show that its 2.2.x until I query the entire version string.

If you indeed actually still are on 2.0, 2.2 might do away with this
problem, I'm not sure (since I still have the magic invocation in my gtkrc
files).

Anyway, looked in my files to find the magic incantation as mentioned
above.  See if the following fixes the stubbornly intransigent thing!

In your gtkrc file, here, I have several, and its specifically in
~/.gtkrc-2.0, so try that one, put the following string (outside of any
existing group, of course, so at the bottom or whatever..

gtk-can-change-accels = 1

Save and close the file, restart pan, and see if it responds to that point
and set accel technique now.  It should also honor rather than overwrite
any changes you make directly to the accels.txt file, now, as long as you
edit it with PAN closed.

Hopefully that solves your problem.  It seems the GTK folks have some of
that nasty "the user doesn't LIKE being able to make to many changes,
because it just CONFUSES them" attitude, the SAME one that has kept Gnome
from getting a decent GUI color preferences applet (NOT the scheme
changer, but one that allows changing individual elements, like kcmshell
colors aka the kde control panel color applet, or even proprietary-ware
MSWormOS has).

Benjamin Franklin