pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: I broke it help!

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: I broke it help!
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:50:45 -0700

Ronny Hippler posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:20:16 -0500:

>       I needed to update gettext for another program so I did the
> deinstall/make/reinstall routine with no errors but now when trying to
> start pan I get the following error:
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libinitl.so.4" not found
>
> How do I get this back? TIA

The simplest solution, if it works, would be running ldconfig to update
the linker's idea of what libraries are available to link and where.

If that doesn't fix the issue, the library in question is either
corrupted, or not on the default library search path.  You will need to
see where it is and add that to the path (or create a link to it that IS
on the path), or if it's missing.

One of the problems with installing tarballs is that the dependencies may
not be fully taken care of.  Here, an "rpm -q --requires gettext" mentions
libintl.so.2()(64bit). (That 64-bit is because I'm running a dual Opteron,
here, in 64-bit mode.  Also note that my version is intl, not initl.)

I'm running Mandrake, so I can use urpmf to look up what packages include
that.
urpmf libintl.so
lib64intl2:/lib64/libintl.so.2
lib64intl2:/lib64/libintl.so.2.2.0
gettext-devel:/usr/lib64/libintl.so

Thus, it looks like the package libintl2 provides the required library
(generically, thus removing the 64, the plain .so is provided by the devel
package, but that shouldn't be used by ordinary binaries).

Now, the version required here is .so.2, while yours is .so.4.  It looks
like an incompatible version update situation.  IOW, the two libraries are
named differently because the newer one broke compatibility with the older
one.  You may need both libraries installed.  If you don't have
libintl.so.4 (or libinitl.so.4, by your spelling) available, you may have
to figure out where to get that and install it.

Benjamin Franklin