pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Fit image to Window

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Fit image to Window
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:05:38 -0700

James Sumners posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:30:26 -0400:

> Dude, I know my budget and you know yours. Please do not tell me what mine
> is.
>
> I also know what my monitor supports and it doesn't support anything
> higher than 1024x768. It is a cheap little 15"  analog Samsung LCD (the
> price not the quality). I have X outputting the exact frequency values for
> every resolution that the monitor is capably of.

Ahh.. LCD.  I've looked at those, but like a PDA, buying one here would
just be buying a solution to a problem better solved another way.  They
are too expensive for the use I'd be able to put them to, and they have
serious down sides as well. (Note that this isn't saying anything about
/your/ use.)   I know.  I've been eyeing them, but I just can't make a
persuasive argument that the money invested there wouldn't be better spent
on either a CRT (as with my 22" ViewSonic) or on more memory or other core
computer upgrades.  The $$ for one of those is about the same $$ another
512M stick of memory would cost.

> Your "solution" is nothing more than throwing money and desk space at the
> problem.

Of course, I'd call buying an LCD throwing $$ at the problem as well, but
the point is taken and you are correct.  That's actually the spirit in
which I made the suggestion in the first place.  Somewhat facetiously
saying that with enough $$, the problem goes away.  I guess I should have
put a few more "<g>"s and =:^)s in there, or perhaps a <sarcasm> tag or
two.

Benjamin Franklin