pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: freeze when I try to post a message

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: freeze when I try to post a message
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:17:44 -0700

Helge Hielscher posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:12:54 +0100:

> since about a week my pan freezes when I try to post a message. It does
> not matter if I hit send now or send later and it happens on every
> newsserver.
> Any idea how I can narrow down what is happening? Or if that does not
> work: what is the best way to copy the newsservers and groups from my old
> profile to the new one that I am using now?

I'd suspect that's a corrupted pan.sendlater and/or pan.sent folder,
probably the former as I believe every message goes there until it's
actually sent and confirmed by the news server, which would therefore take
out both send-now and send-later.

The general pan data dir is under ~/.pan/.  From there, you should be able
to find the appropriate subdirs and files.  Rename them if desired or
simply delete them, with PAN closed, then reopen it and try posting.  If
it works, you've found your culprit and can try to recover what was in the
renamed files if desired, or just delete it.  If not, that wasn't the
problem so you can rename them back and try something else.  Without
double-checking to be sure, I believe you will have a
messages/pan.sendlater subdir, with individual messages therein, and a
corresponding index file, possibly two.  One of those items is probably
corrupt.  If you are lucky it's just a single message and you can delete
it and everything else will just show up.  If not, it's the index, and
while you might try to rebuild it by hand, it's probably easier just to
writeoff everything in that folder as lost and start over.

Moving the profile over is just moving the whole ~/.pan dir, but I don't
think you'll need to do that once you delete the offending corruption,
plus, doing so without deleting it will mean you have the same problem
with the new profile.

The other possibility for carrying over some data but not everything is to
use the export to .newsrc functionality, then import it in the new file.
That should carry over subscribed groups, read vs. unread messages
therein, etc.  If you have a specific PAN config you want to keep, you can
copy those files over from the appropriate ~/.pan dir as well, and just
forget about the cached messages and the like.

Benjamin Franklin