pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Background colour

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Background colour
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 04:57:39 -0700

Maurice Batey posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:51:15 +0000:

> Is there any way of changing the background colour from white?
>
> (All the colour controls appear to refer to text rather than windows.)
>
> Using Pan 0.14.2.

Yes.  However, it's a GTK setting that will affect all GTK based apps, not
a PAN setting.  I prefer light text on a dark background, so that's how I
have my setting.  Unfortunately, Gnome/GTK doesn't make changing this all
that easy to do, except by changing all sorts of settings at once using a
theme.  This is one of the reasons I use KDE as my X windowing environment
of choice instead of GTK/Gnome, as it makes setting these things a simple
matter of selecting the color applet in kcontrol, and point and clicking
your way thru the desired choices.  In fact, KDE's color applet has a
checkbox "Apply colors to non-KDE applications" as well, which I have
checked.  That's the way set my PAN widget colors.  Otherwise, as I
mentioned, it'd be a case of finding a theme that suited my needs, a
rather difficult proposition as I find some aspect or other I dislike in
most themes, thus, the desire/need to have individual element
customization available.  Or... one could hand-edit the text config files,
but somehow, while I don't mind working with text config files for many
things, doing that to set the GUI colors seems a perversion of the whole
reason I choose to work in a GUI in the FIRST place!

(One exception is tooltip colors.  Apparently Qt has them hard-coded to
black text on a yellow background, and KDE doesn't provide a way to
override that.  The problem however is that when KDE applies its colors to
GTK apps, it appears to set the tooltip background to match KDE, but uses
one of the other text color options to set foreground GTK tooltip color,
one that's white in my KDE config, so I end up with GTK tooltips of white
text on a yellow background and can't read them at all!  At one point back
on Mandrake I figured out how to fix this -- it involved manually editing
GTK config files, but I've long since forgotten what I needed to change,
and lost the setting when I switched to Gentoo.)