pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] testers needed -- and if you use alt.binaries, you *want

From: Travis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] testers needed -- and if you use alt.binaries, you *want* to try this...
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:39:38 -0800

---- Original Message ----
From: "Charles Kerr" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 12:42
Subject: [Pan-users] testers needed -- and if you use alt.binaries,
you *want* to try this...

I've just landed some huge changes into CVS that does some very
dramatic things to large binaries newsgroups:

* Much, much smaller memory footprint:
  A group with 133,000 articles now eats 19 meg instead of 63 meg!

* Big groups thread faster and show up in the header pane MUCH
faster.
* The data files in ~/.pan/servername/ roughly 50% smaller.

I've been playing with it for a few days now and these gains seem to
have no downside, so if anyone else wants to give it a spin, I'd
very much like to get more people testing this out.

Does it work with PAN 0.14.2 on WinXP? Can it be uninstalled if it screws things up?

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington