pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] testers needed -- and if you use alt.binaries, you *want

From: Steven Ellis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] testers needed -- and if you use alt.binaries, you *want* to try this...
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:14:35 +1300

Charles Kerr wrote:
I've just landed some huge changes into CVS that does some very dramatic things to large binaries newsgroups:

* Much, much smaller memory footprint:
  A group with 133,000 articles now eats 19 meg instead of 63 meg!

* Big groups thread faster and show up in the header pane MUCH faster.

* The data files in ~/.pan/servername/ roughly 50% smaller.

I've been playing with it for a few days now and these gains seem to have no downside, so if anyone else wants to give it a spin, I'd very much like to get more people testing this out.

So tell us Charles, what was the black magic you invoked for such radical improvements.