pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Latest changes

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Latest changes
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:53:11 -0700

John Aldrich posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:04:03 -0500:

> Good thought, though. Any other ideas? FWIW, it appears that Fedora installed
> several different versions of automake. Wonder if it is using the wrong
> version? How can I hard-code the correct version?

I can't help much, but this I do know, both automake and autoconf need
multiple parallel versions installed if you are doing any
significant from-source work at all.  autoconf has only two commonly used
versions, AFAIK, 2.13 and 2.59, but automake is an entirely different
story, as there are quite a number of different versions that will likely
be required by different packages, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9.... but as
I said they can be installed in parallel.

At least, those are the versions I have installed here in parallel, on
Gentoo, which should have all of the commonly required versions since its
default is "from source".

Many packages will specify which version they require.  For those times
where they don't, the distribution usually supplies a convenient method to
switch the default between the available choices, either by running a
config applet, or manually, by changing a symlink in /etc/alternatives or
something similar.