pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Organize subscriptions into folders

From: Lenroc
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:42:10 -0700

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:41:25 -0800, Charles Schwartz wrote:

> Is there a way to organize the subscription pane into folders.

No, not really.

But, you can do the next-best thing by creating different "Servers" for
each group you want.

Just pull down the Tools menu and select "News Servers". Create a new
Server, name it, say, 'Computers', and put in the same NNTP host that you
already use. With that 'Server', subscribe to only the computer-related
groups. Rinse, repeat...

You can switch between Servers using the 'Servers' menu. It's not _too_
ugly, though it's certainly not ideal ;)

One thing to watch out for is opening multiple connections to your NNTP
host. My ISP (who is my NSP) allows 4 connections per real server, so if I
allowed each 'virtual' server in Pan to open 4 connections, I'd quickly
run into problems.

(If you look through the archives for this mailing list, I'm relatively
certain that this topic has been described more eloquently in the past,
most likey by Duncan...)

Note that both of the other responses to your post seem to be way
off-base. Procmail is irrelevant, and Richard was apparently thinking of
binary downloads.

--
Lenroc