pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re: odd newsgroup behaviour

From: R Kimber
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re: odd newsgroup behaviour
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:21:00 +0100

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:12:53 -0700
Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:

> It would appear the problem in your case is in the references header,
> again, likely due to use of an "invalid" character because the poster
> was using a strange charset resulting in a weird message-id, which of
> course turns up in the references header for the entire subthread.
> Even if it's only a single poster, if he's a regular, and his posts
> generate a number of replies, the numbers could add up to hundreds of
> posts, between multiple subthreads.
>
> If this is the case, unfortunately, it's likely the best choices
> might be switching readers for that group, or downgrading your pan
> version -- I don't have any idea how far back you might have to go
> but the old 0.11.x gnome-1 version would depend on a different gtk/
> pango setup so would probably work.

I've discovered that fetchnews sometimes complains, e.g.
article /var/spool/news/uk/politics/misc/362 contained illegal headers:
I suppose this is a server error (?)

I don't know if this is the same as the previous, Pan, error but anyway
I changed to Knode and this seems to be working OK.

Thanks,
- Richard.
 --
Richard Kimber