pan-users

[Pan-users] An early x86 pre-2005.1 announced, what's amd64 2005.1 statu

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] An early x86 pre-2005.1 announced, what's amd64 2005.1 status?
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 09:10:24 -0700

I see an announcement on the dev group (aka list) of a Gentoo x86 2005.1
early pre-releases posted for testing, so it's getting to be that time,
it would appear. However, last I knew, amd64 was targeting 2005.1 for the
switch to full multilib, which requires a new portage, and I don't even
see /hints/ of any beta versions of that out, nor when it /might/ be out,
yet.

Is Gentoo amd64 2005.1 still on track for full multilib support with a
new portage, or are we looking at 2006.0 for that, now?  Any sort of rough
timetable for anything but CVS of the new portage if that's still to be
included? Among other things, I want my config-cache back, and the patch
for it hasn't worked since the sandbox split.  (I've brute-force fixed
the patches so they apply again, but I'm not sure it's working right, as
I don't really understand what I'm doing, particularly for the sandbox
one which is in C.) It's supposed to be natively supported in the next
version, but I want it NOW! <g> (I've been tempted to try downloading
a portage from the web-CVS interface and hacking it together, but I
haven't gotten /quite/ that desperate yet, partly for a lack of time to
do stuff like that, lately.) How does the portage timing affect
the timing of our 2005.1, and when is that planned?