pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan cannot handle large numbers of headers?

From: DPA
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan cannot handle large numbers of headers?
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:58:32 -0400

The version in CVS has some changes that make it possible to handle even the largest groups at this time. I think the long-term change is to use the SQL backend, but these changes work for now.

What distro are you running PAN on?

jef_e wrote:

Phillip Pi wrote:

Hello,

Is it me or does Pan v0.14.2.91 fail to handle large numbers of headers from a newsgroup?

It's not you. It's been discussed a lot in the past, and they way pan deals with things just isn't scalable to the level that many premium news providers now go with retention.

I tried to download about 3,044,000 headers from alt.binaries.hdtv newsgroup. My computer choked at about 1,900,000 headers when I came back from a 30 minutes break.

I recently upgraded to 2GB of RAM, and find that I can handle just a bit over 2.2 million before things get wacky. (When I only had 512MB, it was maybe 500,000)

 HDD light was spinning, m

KDE v3.3.4 was frozen and not responsive. I had to kill Pan via SSH. Of course that was slow as heck too. I eventually to kill X server because stuff was broken.

Just killing pan should be enough, it just takes a while for things to settle down.

I am using an Athlon XP 2200+ with 1 GB of RAM. Isn't that enough or is Pan not optimized for this big number of headers?

Last I heard, the Pan team is working a new database backend that will clear up this problem. Take a look at the files in ~/.pan/<your news server> to see why things get so bogged down. Right now, my file for alt.binaries.multimedia is a tad over 1 GB in size :)

You best bet is to load headers in small groups, deleting the old and unwanted stuff.