pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan cannot handle large numbers of headers?

From: John Wendel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan cannot handle large numbers of headers?
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:21:31 -0700

Phillip Pi wrote:
Hello,

Is it me or does Pan v0.14.2.91 fail to handle large numbers of headers from a newsgroup? I tried to download about 3,044,000 headers from alt.binaries.hdtv newsgroup. My computer choked at about 1,900,000 headers when I came back from a 30 minutes break. HDD light was spinning, m KDE v3.3.4 was frozen and not responsive. I had to kill Pan via SSH. Of course that was slow as heck too. I eventually to kill X server because stuff was broken.

I am using an Athlon XP 2200+ with 1 GB of RAM. Isn't that enough or is Pan not optimized for this big number of headers?

Thank you in advance. :)

Known problem, mostly fixed in the CVS version. Just run these commands to build yourself a version that works (with a few random bugs).

>export CVSROOT=":pserver:address@hidden:/cvs/gnome"

>cvs login

>cvs -z3 checkout pan

>cd pan