pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Pan crashing with Gtk 2.8

From: Dave Chand
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Pan crashing with Gtk 2.8
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:45:03 -0400

On Aug 19, 2005, at 9:02 PM, Duncan wrote:

Dave Chand posted <154425EA-279D-4BB9-8C77- address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:58:42 -0400:

On Aug 19, 2005, at 2:02 PM, Duncan wrote:

Sigh... top posting, even on the PAN list...

I am sorry what does "top posting mean"??

From an unknown origin:

      A: Top posters.

This is "bottom posting", contextual quote (snipping the upline not
replied to), then reply, in the context of the quote.  You did "bottom
posting" as well, when you asked that question.

"Top posting" would put the reply first, without any previous context
quoted demonstrating what was replied to.  The quote, if any, is
underneath, often not trimmed at all, even if the thread gets many levels and several hundred lines deep, because it's below the reply, so there's not the incentive to trim it to context only, as there is if the quote has
to be scrolled thru to get to the reply.

Your first reply, to yourself, was top posted, so the context of what you were replying to, and therefore what I was replying to when I quoted it,
before I manually rearranged things, wasn't clear.

Of course, it's equally annoying to have to scroll thru 200 lines of quote to get to what might be a two line reply, so bottom posting alone isn't always better. The key is quoting only the context one is replying to.
If the context is more than 20-ish lines, ideally, one either replies
inline (point-by-point and again editing out extraneous context), if one is replying to multiple points, or edits it down to the context replied
to, or if that's still to large, summarizes as necessary.

PAN of course discourages top posting by warning about it and asking if you are sure, as one of the GNKSA guidelines it complies with. (The fact
that PAN is 100% GNKSA compliant is a major point of pride to the PAN
developers, and for good reason. Check the GNKSA link on the PAN site for
more info.)

Besides the GNKSA link, here's another link, explaining a bit more about top posting vs bottom posting. (The A:/Q: quote above is from the FAQ of
proper quoting link at the bottom of this page, tho I've also seen it
quoted in people's sigs occasionally.)

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm

How you reply in your own person-to-person email is your own
business, tho I personally prefer top-quoting/bottom-posting there
as well.  However, mailing lists such as this one are very similar to
USENET, being a one-to-many medium such as a newsgroup, and should be
treated similarly. In fact, I read and reply to this list /as/ a
newsgroup, thru the list2news gateway available at gmane.org.

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/ rms_interview.html