pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re Pan newsgroup and sorting headers?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re Pan newsgroup and sorting headers?
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:01:56 -0700

Bill Case posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on Wed,
31 Aug 2005 11:31:02 -0400:

> Hi;
>
> I've got two newbie questions;
>
> 1) Does Pan have a newsgroup I could join?  I've searched and all I get
> is a lot of alt.* and *.japan.

Yes and no.  No, not a newsgroup per se, but yes, this list is actually
available as a newsgroup, thru gmane.org's list2news and back again
gateway, which is actually how I participate on this list/group.  Read all
about it on http://gmane.org .  It's a free service, but be aware that  IP
blocks are occasionally blocked for abuse.  Unfortunately, there was
apparently someone from my ISP and IP block abusing them at one point, and
I got caught in the block.  I was reading from the web interface for a few
days, until things could be straightened out.

> 2) How can I sort my headers by two criteria ,  first by  watched
> threads,  then  by  date?

That's not directly possible, but...  I'm not sure if this works on PAN
(haven't tested it here), but sometimes you can get that effect by sorting
on the secondary item first (date in your case), then clicking on the
primary one (score). Sometimes that causes a sorting by the primary, with
anything set equal under that being sorted by the last-used criteria, thus
giving you the desired effect.  However, even if it does work with PAN,
I'd expect PAN only remembers the primary sorting criteria and thus won't
save that setting over multiple sessions.  You'd have to reinvoke it each
time you entered the group.  FWIW, if it does work, it'd be due to
functionality in the GTK widget used, not PAN itself.  PAN should support
it if the widget it uses does so.