pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: What is "Score"

From: Lenny Nero
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: What is "Score"
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:42:57 +0100

Travis wrote:

>> > I only connect to one news server and on that only one binary group
>> > (DVD) and one text group (a test group) so what does all of this mean
>> > for me?
>> >

>> > -- Travis in Shoreline Washington
>>
>> You will be missing out on the best part(IMO) of BNR2|3, the way it
>> merges servers, but worth a try.
>>
>> If you try 2 the weak link is asking the db to do more than one thing
>> at once, dont open more than one group at a time, dont open any groups
>> while getting overviews... that sort of thing. I used to keep my BNR2
>> db going for months on end without problem by doing that, but I have
>> not used 2 for over 12 months. there is also a new version out in the
>> last day. I have not finished my que yet so have not tried it.
>>
>> BNR1 might work for you, ah, no yEnce support.
>>
>> L.
>
> My ISP runs a very good news service so I don't need to pay for another
> news provider.
>
> I wouldn't have more than one group open at a time.  I just switch from
> the "DVD" group to the "test" and back incase Pan crashes so it will
> remember what articles have been read in the "DVD" group.
>
> Maybe BNR is way more than I need?
>
> Thanks for all the info you are giving me.

No problem at all, there is also the news.gmane group 'gmane.network.bnr'
if you want to read up on it, as well as the web site. BNR is a very good
bin downloader as you can tell it what you want and it will just get it
when someone posts, worth a look IMHO.

L.

--
If you are getting errors with Biggulp try the Faq.
http://www.readfreenews.com/biggulp-faq.html