pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Changing the background color

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Changing the background color
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:27:57 -0700

jef_e posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:44:43 -0400:

> JCA wrote:
>>But, what about the background? Can its
>> color be changed?
>
> I think that the background color is actually related to the GTK theme
> being used. Any change made would also happen to all other GTK apps -
> which may or may not be fine for your needs.
>
> I'm not sure if it's easily changeable any other way, but maybe someone
> else on the list will have a better answer for you.

Correct.  Here, using KDE, I can change colors using kcmshell colors (the
kcontrol colors applet, the lack of which on GNOME is one reason I don't
have it installed), ensuring the checkbox next to "Apply colors to non-KDE
applications" is checked.  I too prefer light text on a dark background.

As I said, GNOME doesn't (or didn't used to and they started ripping out
the controls the user DID have after that, in the interest of "usability"
-- GRRR!!!) have a direct GUI way to change the individual GUI element
colors.  However, it DOES (or did) have a way to change entire THEMES.
That can make it a /bit/ better, but I was never able to get exactly what
I wanted.  The KDE color applet isn't perfect on GTK apps either -- it
sets tooltip text while not setting tooltip background, so I end up with
light on light and can't read GTK based tooltips any more, for instance,
but  it's certainly as good as setting an entire GTK theme was, here.

I don't know what other X windowing environments may offer.  However, it
IS possible to manually edit the config files to get what's needed as
well.  Back on Mandrake, I had done so to get readable GTK tooltips, but I
haven't bothered yet on Gentoo.