pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: External Editor not communicating with Pan Editor

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: External Editor not communicating with Pan Editor
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:30:14 -0700

Peter posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:13:09 -0500:

> I just got this reply from the vim newsgroup. The problem was explained
> very well by Marvin Renich:
>
> "The problem is that gvim is forking and exiting from the original
> process, so pan thinks gvim is done immediately, reads in the unchanged
> temporary file, and deletes it.  Then, you get control in gvim, but it is
> too late for pan.
>
> Use "gvim -f %t".  See :help -f."
>
> Using the above in the preferences works like a charm. You would not
> believe when I tell you that this has bothered me for almost two years. I
> just could NOT figure it out!

Very cool you got it fixed, then, after two years!  =8^)  Now don't you
wish you'd asked about it 20 months ago! =8^P

I figured it had to be some sort of fork, only I had it pegged as a
starter script, starting the real gvim.bin in a new process rather than
running it by exec.