pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How to filter spam from Gmane?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How to filter spam from Gmane?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 03:39:03 -0700

Beartooth posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:38:15 -0500:

> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 12:33:24 +0800, Lynda Metref wrote:
>
>> I use pan to read mailing lists through Gmane. Gmane Has a spam filter
>> that cross-post the spam to gmane.spam.detected. ...
>
> Something very strange: I can't find anything like gmane.spam.detected on
> gmane! I got a fresh list of all groups, and searched it with Pan for
> 'detect' and then for 'spam' -- nothing.

Ahhh... I remember now...

gsd is a "virtual" group, with the cross-posting faked to allow filtering
on it for those who can, but gmane doesn't actually make the group
available, because the thought is that it would make it too easy for them
to verify what's detected and how fast, as well as providing public proof
in a very convenient location to whoever's paying them that they /are/
actually spamming lists.  If someone has to actually load the group and
filter on that crosspost to see the spam, they are less likely to bother
trying to verify thru gmane.

gmane did have it available for awhile, but removed it.