pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Viewing queued messages

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Viewing queued messages
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:43:28 -0700

Kenneth P. Turvey posted
<address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Sun, 05 Mar 2006 04:36:16 -0600:

> How do I view the messages that will be sent if I hit "Send Pending
> Messages"?

As Brad says, set the group list pane to view folders, then
select pan.sendlater.

> Also, how do I save a message (just the text) to a specific file.  I used
> to save all the posts to specific newsgroup to single file in MBOX format.
> That would be ideal, but not necessary.

There's a family of solutions, depending on what exactly you want.  The
most direct answer is File, Save Attachments As...  Yes, I know it says
attachments, but that opens a dialog where you can save text /or/
attachments.  If you choose save text, it saves everything, including
attachments as text.  The drawback of this is that once it's out of PAN,
there's no way to get it back into PAN -- it's a plain text file and is
viewed as such, using your editor or whatever, not PAN.

You can also create your own "save" folders, which will appear along with
the pan.sent and pan.sendlater.  Right clicking on a message overview will
then allow you to copy it to one of your folders.  This allows you to save
it for later, keeping it in PAN, but isn't quite what you asked for.

I usually forward messages I want to keep to myself, and keep them in my
mail reader (kmail), rather than in PAN.

PAN's cache folder also contains each message as a file in plain text --
it's modified maildir format.  You get closest to viewing the file
directly as it came in from there, so that's best for troubleshooting PAN
problems or the  like.  Of course, you can copy or move it out of there if
desired.  The biggest problem with this method is probably the number of
cached messages in the dir, and finding the one you want.  The names are
based on message-ID, so the easiest way to find a message is to check the
message-ID in PAN, then copy/move/edit it from cache directly, putting the
file name in on the command line rather than browsing to it, as loading
all the files in the massive cache dir will take quite some time,
particularly in graphical file managers that scan the  content and then
display an appropriate icon, as that's a /lot/ of files to scan!