pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Cache management (was Re: Weirdness ...)

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Cache management (was Re: Weirdness ...)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:08:17 -0700

Beartooth posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:09:47 -0500:

>> PAN's cache is the local copy of messages it has downloaded.  Clearing it
>> will clear all those messages -- not the overviews, just the messages
>> themselves (that is, the bodies -- unless you've copied them to a save
>> folder or saved them to a file, of course, that's separate from the cache).
>
> So I need to go through group after group, saving the threads I've marked
> to watch, right? And start saving them on arrival. And *then* clear the
> cache ...

If you just clear the cache, the overviews aka headers will still be
there, only the messages themselves (aka the bodies) will be gone.
Because the headers are still there, as long as the messages haven't
expired off the server (in which case PAN would delete the message anyway
when it synced, both the cached  message and the overview, of course
gmane doesn't expire messages), you could redownload the messages
themselves.