pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: New Groups - does it work?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: New Groups - does it work?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 04:55:51 -0700

jef_e posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:17:20 -0500:

> Kevin Brammer wrote:
>
>> The CVS version I'm using doesn't have a "get new groups" option.  It
>> has a "get list of groups", that's it.  Once that completes, I select
>> "New Groups" from the pull-down that also contains "Subscribed
>> Groups", "All Groups", and the like.  It's no big deal, I'll just wait
>> until the next release come April and see what happens.
>
> Yeah, it seems for some reason, in the CVS version, the "download New
> Groups" option disappeared.
>
> If it doesn't return in the new version, I'd be inclined to file a bug
> report/feature enhancement.

The new version is a rewrite branch, likely rather different than current
CVS, froom what I've gathered.  What features (and bugs) it has remain to
be seen.

That said, yeah, lacking a get new groups option would be, I'd say, a
bug, unless it checks automatically for them, in the name of usability.
I'd still consider that a regression, however, if the menu item was
missing and there was no way to opt-out of automatic checks.  Some folks
don't need or want an automatic check, and instead run entirely without a
list of groups on their main server(s), transfering the subscribed list
from a "signup" server, which can then be deleted, once they have all the
subscribed groups they want in their main server, without the overall list
of groups.  This might be particularly true of a young (6-ish) kid's
login, setup by a parent to only list nature picture groups and perhaps a
couple cartoon groups, and the like.  I know of a parent that has that
sort of setup.