pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.97 "Atoz and Tanda"

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.97 "Atoz and Tanda"
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 20:35:57 +0000 (UTC)

"Charles Kerr"  <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Sat, 13 May 2006 08:21:45 -0500:

"Charles Kerr" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Sat, 13 May 2006 08:21:45 -0500:

> If you've been holding off on the Pan rewrite, this might be a
> good time to give it a try.  The bug reports have been shrinking
> over the last few weeks, so either it's getting less buggy, or
> we need more testers, or both.

Looks good, and it's definitely nice to have only one copy of each group
again! =8^)  The sorted columns is appreciated, too, as is the window
role (I like being able to control the windows =8^). I can agree, the new
PAN is usable as my default, now.

OTOH, I'm seeing smileys as graphical monstrosities, instead of as text,
the latter being my definite preference!  Please, I don't mind the
monstrosities being the default, but please please please, I prefer to see
smilies and markup as original text, so I need the option to turn it off
displaying them graphically has to be a feature at all. If I want fancy
markup, I'll use a web browser!

Also, I'm not sure exactly what you did to the internal pane sizing code,
but it doesn't quite work just yet.  My normal pan window (maximized on a
1600x1200 monitor, with no panels taking up room so it gets the full size
minus title bar, and as mentioned below, the byte column's a no-show,
despite the setting):

| st act subject...................... author.......... date ln bt scr |
|                                          |                           |
|                                          |                           |
|                                          |                           |
|    body                                  |      groups               |
|                                          |                           |
|                                          |                           |
|                                          |                           |
|                                          |                           |

What I get when I open PAN 0.97:

|+----------------------------------------------------------------------
||                                                                     |
||                                                                     |
||                                                                     |
||                                                                     |
||            groups                                                   |
||                                                                     |
||                                                                     |
||                                                                     |
||                                                                     |
||                                                                     |
||                                                                     |
||                                                                     |
||                                                                     |
||                                                                     |
||                                                                     |
||                                                                     |

IOW, the other panes are there but folded up as far as they will go, with
the groups pane taking all the space.  At first, I thought it had switched
to tabs mode or disabled overviews/headers and body panes entirely, but it
hadn't.  They were simply folded up to the top and left.

Yes, resetting it and closing and opening PAN results in the same huge
groups, nothing else showing. In case it matters, Gentoo AMD64 system,
compiled using gcc-4.1.0.

Finally, there's a bytes column listed in preferences, unchecked by
default, but checking it doesn't seem to display it.  I had missed that
feature in the old PAN but learned to work around it.  It'd be really nice
to have in the new one, but right now, it's teasing me!  It says it's
there to display, but nothing!  =8^(

I could still /really/ use that expanded threads by default option.  =8^)
That and the fact that I kept using the wrong profile to post with because
PAN wouldn't remember it.  (I haven't posted enough yet to have verified
that in 0.97, but I don't see it listed in the changelog.)  Those are the
two biggest frustrations here, at this point.

(BTW, that draft feature is nice.  I used it to double-verify that the
hogging groups pane thing happened consistently on pan open, before coming
back to finish the post.)