pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: [.97] Some usability issues

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: [.97] Some usability issues
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 10:53:51 +0000 (UTC)

Charles Kerr <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 16 May 2006
10:07:07 -0500:

> Messing with the colors causes all kinds of headaches for people
> using different system colors, so 0.9x is following the trend
> (such as in Thunderbird) of boldfacing unread articles and
> underlining read articles that have hidden unread children.

Don't I know about it! <g>

Actually, as long as the colors can be customized (and the customization
remembered), it's not a big problem.  That's why 0.14 and now 0.9x with
the current colorized items continue to work for me.  I do miss the
three-way distinction new/old-unread/read, however, together with color
customization entries to match.

The problem, from an app developer perspective of course is the
bloat/functionality balance, and the increasing complexity of managing all
those extra options.  I really can't blame Charles for choosing to simplify
the three-way new/old/read to a two-way unread/read indicator.  That's all
that's really needed, and it /does/ simplify things for both the new user
and the code maintainer.