pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Pn 0.97 won't start

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Pn 0.97 won't start
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 12:13:49 +0000 (UTC)

"Rinaldi J. Montessi" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 27 May
2006 00:25:52 -0400:

> Mike Leone wrote:
>> Duncan wrote:
>>> HTML belongs on the web, not in a news /or/ mail post!
>>
>> You've spent more bandwidth arguing about the HTML than the actual HTML
>> took ... isn't it time to let it go?
>
> Fact is Duncan spends a lot of time helping people on this list.  I'd
> say it's a small price to pay to respect, if not the *preferred* posting
> method, his wishes.  Or risk being -9999'd

I agree and that's what I don't get.  Sure, folks can post whatever they
want, but check the archives.  The folks posting in HTML seldom answer
questions, tho they ask plenty of them (which BTW would seem to support
the technically illiterate and simply don't care HTML-poster=AOLer-type
thesis). The folks posting in plain text both ask and answer. What would
happen if they just started kill filing on sight of HTML? Who'd answer the
questions of the HTML posters? It's not like the guys with the answers
/have/ to answer, or get paid for it or anything. They do it because they
/want/ to, and in fact, there's always questions that go unanswered due to
lack of time to follow everything, so it seems to me it would behoove a
person with a question to do what they can to get in the "answered" group,
not the "skipped" or even worse "killfiled" group.

I know when I go file a bug or ask a developer or a list/group a question,
I'm doing all I can to get a usable answer.  If that means jumping thru
hoops because they asked me to, to get a usable answer, I'll jump thru
those hoops, regardless of whether I agree with them or not.  I usually
do agree because I'm technically literate enough to understand the why, but
that's beside the point, if I want an answer, if asked, I jump.  It would
seem others would do likewise... if they /want/ an answer, anyway, and if
they didn't, why would they post, unless it's just to troll, in which
case, killfile them and good riddance!  I don't have time for uselessness.

Besides, it's not the bandwidth.  While some may be concerned about text
bandwidth, HTML or no, that's something I don't have to worry about
and don't choose to worry about or argue.  It's the security/malware and
spam issue, which remains, regardless of the bandwidth.

Anyway, it seems it's time for me to bring my score file over from the old
PAN, as it seems I have new stuff to add to it.