pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: RE: Re: Crash on Startup - MS Windows

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: RE: Re: Crash on Startup - MS Windows
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 03:51:21 +0000 (UTC)

Lenny_Nero <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Mon, 29 May 2006 03:10:34 +0100:

> I have thought that for quite a few years Pan had become a non windows
> product, I have known it cant run on 2k and this sort of proves it, I dont
> find that a problem, I just wanted to use the same reader on all of the
> OS's I use.

Actually, it hasn't ever "become a non-windows product", because it
started on *ix.  The more accurate statement would be that for various
reasons generally including library support, MSWormOS support has always
been somewhat less than one might wish for, and it has taken some serious
effort to even maintain that.

With Qt (which is what KDE uses, BTW, pronounced the same as "cute", as
opposed to the GTK that GNOME and PAN use) now available on MSWormOS in a
GPL version, and KDE with a declared intent to port major portions to
MSWormOS, it'll be /very/ interesting to see what sort of competition
might develop for MSWormOS support -- what system might become the Firefox
of cross-platform general GUI/windowing environment.  Qt has had
commercial licensed MSWormOS/cross-platform support since it began, AFAIK,
but KDE is the major free world implementer, and major portions of the
upcoming KDE4 are slated for porting as well, based on the now
GPL-on-MSWormOS Qt licensing that's available.

Anyway, one can hope that will invigorate the GTK side as well, and a real
competition will develop for cross-platform support, and PAN's problems
with GTK support on MSWormOS will eventually disappear.