pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re. how should pan let users sort by active threads?

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re. how should pan let users sort by active threads?
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:39:34 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 Charles Kerr wrote:

Right now the header pane's date column shows that row's article's date.
This is straightforward, but when sorting you get the date of the first
post in a thread.  But what if you're looking for active threads?
In that case, you really want to sort by the newest followup's date.

> What is an 'active' thread ?
> On my v 0.14.2 the sequence of displaying the headers, also of
> threaded headers, is independant of whether the article has been
> fetched or not.  Or does 'active' mean it's still on the NewsServer?

No.  By "active" I was referring to threads that have had articles
recently posted to them.  (Articles no longer present on the
news server are referred to as "expired".)

Can anyone think of a cleaner, but still obvious, way to do this?

Don't do it.   Beter just make a note in the 'HAND-BOOK'.
Resist the temptation to fiddle unneccesarily.

There is no Pan manual because only about one person per year asks
for it and nobody would read it anyway.

Besides, I'm talking about being able to sort a thread by the date
of the thread's latest article -- something Pan can't currently do.
I don't see how making a note of that would help anything. :)

PSSS. I'm still waiting for someone to suggest that "if my
v 0.14.2 installation doesn't 'go to the first [or any] of the
last downloaded [as a result of being previously flagged]
articles, via <shift> 'n' or the 2 mouseable commands, then
it must be broken".

AHA, I know you. You're the person who keeps posting on the
readers newsgroup with subjects like "Pan: unlucky?",
"Pan: spyware", and "Pan: unfocused development?".

Pan doesn't have a button for "Next Fetched Unread Article".
However, as I've explained to you already on the readers newsgroup,
set your filter to "Match Cached Articles" + "Show Matching Articles",
then the 'next' button will work as you want.

Charles