pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] clarification on sorting threads by date...

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] clarification on sorting threads by date...
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:19:13 -0700

Charles Kerr wrote:
[...]
> Why does the (07/08 05:07) article come later?  Because it got a
> followup at (07/09 03:00 PM) from Walt after the Suse RPM mail came in...

Hah!  I feel the surge of intoxicating power flow through my...um...

Oops.  Wrong list, sorry.

After further contemplation I think that the one useful course would
be to supply a variety of sorting options -- each attachable to a hotkey
so that the user could instantly switch between options without fumbling
thru a menu.

That said, what about clicking on a column header like 'Subject' or
'Date' for sorting purposes?  That's what I do now, and I prefer it,
except that it doesn't do exactly what I want (as I posted earlier.)

Sometimes, with some newsreaders, I get the impression that the sorting
results depends upon the *order* in which I click the column headers.

E.g., if I click on 'Date' and then click on 'Subject', the header
pane seems sorted such that the threads are kept intact, but the
grouped threads seem to be sorted in roughly chronological order.

Am I imagining this?  I confess I've always been confused by the
subject of article threading/sorting, so it may be that I've just
noticed on those occasions when sorting accidentally happens the way
I like it.  Dunno.

I do know that Thunderbird has one column named 'Thread' which turns
threading on/off with one click on the column header.  I like that
option only because I can defeat the (apparent) conflict between
sorting by Subject, sorting by Date, or by Thread (where there seems
to be a builtin conflict between the other two categories.)

Any cleansing moments of clarity would be most welcome.