pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] re: works beautifully on freebsd 6.1

From: Steve Davies
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] re: works beautifully on freebsd 6.1
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:21:02 +0100

On 7/21/06, David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jul 20, 2006, at 7:47 PM, David Shochat wrote:

> Brian King wrote:
>> /usr/local/include/glib-2.0/glib/gi18n.h:23:21: libintl.h: No such
>> file or directory
> Talk about deja vu. This is exactly the same problem that came up
> for me (and someone before me) compiling for MacOS X (Darwin is a
> relative of freebsd). It was Charles who pointed me to the Cflags
> value in what is probably in your case /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/
> glib-2.0.pc. I suspect that your Cflags in that line needs to have -
> I${includedir} added. In linux this is not necessary because
> libintl.h is in /usr/include which the compiler looks in
> automatically.

There is a term for this sort of behavior, "Linuxism," def'n: Unique
characteristic of Linux which breaks source code on everything else.

While I would normally smile and agree with you, in this case that is
not true, so I will defend the OS.

This is in fact a bug with the FreeBSD _PORT_ of glib-2.0 - If they
are installing files into /usr/local/.. then this MUST be reflected in
glib-2.0.pc so that these files can be found. That is how it is
designed to work. As David S pointed out, OpenDarwin has now fixed
that porting bug and FreeBSD-ports need to do likewise.

"FreeBSDism" def'n: The inexplicable need to bash Linux.

:) Just balancing the books. Nothing personal - I use FreeBSD/OpenBSD too!

Cheers,
Steve