pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Priority of downloading headers

From: Jim Reiss
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Priority of downloading headers
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 12:53:23 -0600 (MDT)

> Hi everyone,
>
> pan now seems to dedicate all available connections to
> downloading headers.  While this is great when nothing
> else is going on, it does interrupt the downloading of
> binaries.  I personally like to start some items
> downloading, and then while that's going on I'll go to
> another group to kill some time.  With pan 0.14, three
> of my available four connections would continue with
> downloads, and one connection would grab headers for
> the new group.  With the new behavior, all binary
> downloading halts until headers for the new group have
> been grabbed.  This can delay downloads for some time
> if there are 700,000 headers to get!
For me, better would be to allow specifying a different pool of
connections for headers.  My provider has a limit on the number
of connections and bandwidth for article download, but not for
headers.  So really I don't want header download to impact article
download at all.

Barring that, the old behavior was preferable.