pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: ANN: Pan 0.108"Mama's Little Joyboy Love

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: ANN: Pan 0.108"Mama's Little Joyboy Loves Lobsters, Lobsters"
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:43:01 +0000 (UTC)

"Travis" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun,
13 Aug 2006 17:59:02 -0700:

Artur Jackacy wrote...
>> [Pan on MSWormOS is] a long and arduous task. Actually, bulding Gmime
>> is; Pan is a piece of cake after that.
>
> What is a "Gmime"?

MIME is short for Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions.  MIME is defined
in a set of standards track RFCs (Request For Comments, the way the
documents governing Internet standards start), originally for email, but
the same base has since been used in a variety of different situations
(including the web, and even file associations on Unix/Linux systems) to
define document type categorization.

The "g" in gmime is either GNU (as in GNU Public License, the GPL) or
GTK/Gnome, I'm not sure which (and at least the home page front page
doesn't seem to say either). In any case, it's a GPL based MIME message
handling library. More information, including a list of the MIME related
RFCs, is available at the gmime home page on sourceforge:
http://spruce.sourceforge.net/gmime/

The gmime libraries are a common dependency on Linux and will often
already be installed and in use for something (say a mail app) besides
pan.  Even where they aren't, it's normally a simple matter of installing
them from your distribution's packages tree, one often taken care of
automatically when one goes to install pan.  Of course, the MS platforms
are an entirely different ball game.