pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Can creating task list be optimized?

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Can creating task list be optimized?
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 05:08:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:20:37 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> I just saw how smoothly it was going with the big-post multi-part group,
> and having just bought 6 months worth of newshosting, when I entered a
> thousands of small-posts single-part group, I saw that money I just
> spent on it going up in smoke, or more precisely, in bottlenecked CPU
> cycles. That's /extremely/ frustrating, and it's absolutely true,
> klibido was managing full speed in a similar group (tho with less posts
> as I had only Cox at the time) and taking less than half a CPU to do it,
> so pan bottlenecking on one CPU and as a result doing barely dialup some
> of the time... very very ungood!

Darren's followup quotes the upside of the 0.110 changes -- on my 32-bit
AMD 2500 w/512MB of ram, inserting 25,000 articles into the queue takes
about 3 seconds.  Once it's all in steady-state, Pan eats about 15-30% of
my CPU, though it will blip higher for large multiparts.

IIRC you have a much better computer than mine, but you say klibido eats
around half a CPU?  Would you like to run a 0.110/klibido speed test for
me? :)

As an aside, I need to give big pops to sysprof, which is an amazing
newish profiler for Linux.  All the speedups in 0.110 are the result of my
tweaking or redesigning code that sysprof smoked out. sysprof ranks way up
there with valgrind.

cheers,
Charles