pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: compose eats up CPU cycles?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: compose eats up CPU cycles?
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 20:44:59 +0000 (UTC)

Thufir <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 09 Sep
2006 21:21:36 +0100:

> When composing a new message, or a reply, simply _selecting_ small amounts
> of text by highlighting apparently maxes out the CPU usage.  I have 500MB
> RAM and a 2+ ghz celeron chip.  Graphics intensive apps, like gthumb, use
> less of the CPU.  I believe pan is just using gedit.  It doesn't make
> sense, there's even a noticable delay when typing.  That is, I can type
> faster than the words appear on the screen, which causes the CPU to max
> out, and I don't type very fast.  If I stop typing, the CPU usage drops
> down to near zero, from 100 percent, or close to.

It may have to do with the spell-check, but that's not all of it by itself.
I believe I read a report that certain themes can cause that behavior.  If
you have a GTK or GNOME theme, try changing it and see if that helps.
Apparently at least one theme "fights" with the spellchecker or something
else in pan, I'm not sure what.