pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.115 "Mrs. Kerr Says Remember the Tip Jar"

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.115 "Mrs. Kerr Says Remember the Tip Jar"
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 08:39:37 +0000 (UTC)

"walt" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:10:50
+0000:

> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 22:22:21 +0000, Jack Cuyler wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:35:54 -0500, Charles Kerr wrote:
>>
>>> September 30, 2006 - Pan 0.115: "Mrs. Kerr Says Remember the Tip Jar"
>>>
>>> This is "weekly" beta #26(!) of a full Pan redesign and rewrite in C++.
>>> The quick turnaround time between each beta is to squash as many bugs
>>> as possible before the pending 1.0 release.  Feedback and bug reports
>>> are very much encouraged.
>>>
>>> This is the last `big change' release before 1.0.  The big news
>>> this week is a series of optimizations that cut memory use in
>>> big groups by about 60%!  This is huge news for alt.binaries readers.
>>
>> This is the first time in a long time that I've had trouble compiling, but
>> anyhoo, here's the error
> <snip>
>     -mtune=k8
>
> I don't know the answer, but that flag caught my attention.  I would guess
> that you added that flag yourself, am I right?
>
> Without knowing any details I'd suggest using a more pedestrian flag and
> see if it helps.

I see the problem has already been solved, but anyway, here's a bit more
on that -mtune=k8:

-mtune=k8 is for amd64 machines.  -mtune says schedule as appropriate for
the named arch, but says nothing about specific instructions.  Thus, using
the x86_64 compiler, it would output generic x86_64 instructions, no 3DNow
or other amd-specific stuff, no sse3/pni or other em64t and later amd64
instructions.  If you are compiling for /both/ amd64 and em64t machines,
but want instruction ordering for amd64, use -mtune=k8.  If OTOH you are
compiling for ONLY AMD64, use -march=k8 (or the equivalents athlon64,
opteron, athlon-fx), which will automatically default to the same -mtune
unless you specify otherwise.

For later k8s that include sse3 (aka pni), you'll probably want -msse3 as
well.  For em64t, you'll probably want -march=nocona, which includes
-msse3 but not the -m3dnow of amd64.  Again, if you are compiling for
both, leave -march unspecified so it'll be generic, and optionally set
-mtune=k8 or -mtune=nocona if you want scheduling optimized for one or the
other.